August 10, 2014

The Face of Industry

Filed under: General — Bill @ 8:32 pm


The Victoria Memorial comprises a group of three bronze statues mounted on a 30-foot plinth of Portland Stone. On top of the plinth is a statue of the Queen, and mounted to either side of the plinth and lower down from the Queen were statues representing Peace and Industry.

Peace holds a palm in one hand and an orb in the other. Above her are representations of the fruits of the earth, signifying plenty. Industry is a powerfully built workman stripped to the waist. Around him are emblems of the industries of Leeds; and above him are carvings representing the fruits of the sea, signifying the nation’s naval character. Sadly Industry was removed to a council shed twenty-five years ago, and never returned.

July 5, 2014

North West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateway Trail

Filed under: General — Bill @ 5:00 pm

North West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateway Trail

The proposed North West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateway trail is a circular trail linking Leeds and Otley which crosses Monument Moor. Above is an extract from a council map which shows that the route of this trail cuts diagonally across Monument Moor, bypassing Marsden’s Statue. The map above shows that the trail would be blocked both by the trolleybus route, and the construction compound. The photo below shows the route more clearly.

North West Leeds Country Park and Green Gateway Trail

May 20, 2014

Samuel Waite and the Byelaws

Filed under: General — Bill @ 6:58 pm

Samuel Waite's Silver CupoThe silver cup presented to Samuel Waite. Photo courtesy of Yorkshire Post Newspapers

Samuel Waite was a grocer who lived in Woodhouse. He was also a keen cricketer who had played on Woodhouse Moor for thirty years. As a Conservative in a town that had been controlled by the Liberals since 1835, he didn’t agree with the council’s policy of gradually converting the Moor from common land into a People’s Park, a policy which included stopping people playing cricket.

The council’s problem with cricket was that it deterred non-cricketers from using the Moor. The council hadn’t purchased the Moor in 1857 at a cost of £3,200 and drained it, so it could be used by a small group of cricketers. It was meant to benefit everyone. The council was also concerned that it could be held liable if someone was injured as result of being hit by a cricket ball.

Read More

March 10, 2014


Filed under: General — Bill @ 1:04 pm


asdfghjsdfrtyhgtydfghjklpklpoiA part of Woodhouse Moor that has been appropriated for the trolleybus

In an interview broadcast this morning on Radio Aire, Councillor Richard Lewis, the head of Highways said about the trolleybus scheme:

“There are a lot of pluses that come with it as well in terms of us getting a pocket park down at St Michael’s church which is a big improvement; improvements to Woodhouse Moor, part of it is fairly grim for an urban environment.”

Featured above is a photo of part of the Moor which Councillor Lewis has de-classified as ‘park’ so that it can be appropriated for the trolleybus scheme.

The pocket park referred to by Councillor Lewis would be a traffic island on Headingley Hill bordered by the A660 and the trolleybus route. How could this possibly compensate for the loss of sections Woodhouse Moor, the oldest, most historic and intensively used park in Leeds?

November 3, 2013

Autumnal Moor

Filed under: General — Bill @ 7:27 pm

Autumnal Moor

Woodhouse Moor looking splendid at lunchtime today.

May 30, 2012


Filed under: General — Bill @ 8:17 pm


Gardeners from Parks and Countryside were hard at work today creating yet another dazzling floral display in the flower beds around the Victoria Memorial. This morning, the beds were empty, but by lunchtime, they looked like this:



The gardeners are seen here carrying out the back-breaking work of putting in the summer bedding plants:



An ornamental flower garden has existed in this location since the early 1880s. Prior to the relocation of the Victoria Memorial from the city centre in 1937, the garden was known as the Adam and Eve Garden, after two statues nicknamed “Adam” and “Eve.” The picture below shows the garden in Edwardian times.



February 12, 2012


Filed under: General — Bill @ 7:39 pm

Letter sent today to the Yorkshire Evening Post:

Some people mistakenly refer to Woodhouse Moor as Hyde Park. This is very common amongst newcomers to the city who are unfamiliar with the area. Even the Yorkshire Evening Post in a recent article twice referred to the Moor as Hyde Park (“Park Life Runner ‘snaps’ views” – YEP 9.2.12). When mistakes like this appear in print, it encourages others to call the park “Hyde Park.” It legitimises a practice which, left unchecked, could ultimately lead to the loss of the name Woodhouse Moor, a name which evokes history and adds to the park’s character.

The name “Woodhouse Moor” dates back hundreds of years. The first part of the name is “Woodhouse” because the Moor was situated in the administrative area called Woodhouse which in former times included all of Hyde Park, North Hyde Park, Woodhouse, Little Woodhouse and Little London, i.e. all the land between the city centre and Headingley. The second part of the name is “Moor” because in those days Woodhouse Moor was a real moor covered in gorse. Like the other Leeds moors, it was common land, which meant that local people could use it for grazing their animals.

The name “Hyde Park” refers to the residential area to the north of Woodhouse Moor. One story is that the name originated in the early 1800s when a local farmer re-named his farm “Hyde Park Corner” to commemorate a visit he’d made to London. Another is that it dates from 1865 when the parish of St Augustine at Wrangthorn was formed. It’s said that following a walk along the new parish boundary, a parishioner remarked that the area looked just like Hyde Park in London, and the name stuck.

Over the years, local residents have successfully resisted numerous attempts to encroach on the Moor, and on each occasion, received invaluable assistance in the form of coverage in the Yorkshire Evening Post. Now we need the paper’s help again. By referring to the park only as Woodhouse Moor, the paper can ensure the continued use of that historic name, and prevent the disconnection of the park from its past. It would be a real shame if, after so many hundreds of years as Woodhouse Moor, the park were to be re-named now as a result of the carelessness of this generation. Whilst many cities have parks called Hyde Park, there is only one Woodhouse Moor.

September 28, 2011


Filed under: General — Bill @ 2:44 pm


The Moor was looking really beautiful this afternoon, on what felt like the hottest day of the year so far.


The flower beds next to the Victoria Memorialzxcvbn


Students enjoying the sunshinezxcvbnmb

July 19, 2011


Filed under: General — Bill @ 6:33 pm

Public spirited people from the company Premier Farnell cleaning and varnishing benches this afternoon in the area around the bowling greens.

They explained to me that their company allows them a day off every three months to do community work. Today it was our good fortune to have their help on the Moor. All the time I was there, they were working really hard scouring the benches with wire brushes and then varnishing them. While most of the staff were doing that, two ladies from the company were busy weeding a flower bed and tilling the soil.

Steve Clavering from Parks and Countryside coordinated everyone and supplied materials.


Filed under: General — Bill @ 6:04 pm


Hats off to Parks and Countryside for the hard work they do making the Moor look so good.





« Previous PageNext Page »