Filed under: — Bill @ 3:25 pm
Woodhouse Moor was the city’s very first park having been purchased from the Lords of the Manor in 1857. It comprises 27.22 hectares and is located in the area between the town centre and Headingley originally known as Woodhouse. Its avenues were laid out in the 1870s and surfaced in concrete. Saplings lined the avenues, many the gift of Councillor J Hardwick. Several important persons have visited the Moor; Queen Victoria in 1858, Gladstone in 1881, Lloyd George in 1902 and the Pankhursts in 1908. Woodhouse Moor was acquired as a result of what we now know as the Victorian “urban parks movement”, an attempt by social reformers of the time to provide a means of escape from urban squalor. When it was first acquired, the Moor was known as “the Lungs of Leeds” due to its clean fresh air which contrasted sharply with the smoky atmospheres of Hunslet and Holbeck, where many of the city’s factories were located, and the town centre.